Saturday, September 10, 2011

Needing a push in the right direction.

   Any type of Alzheimer's is gut wrenching and means the person diagnosed is going to die.  No matter if you are 70 or 40 when diagnosed.   The gene my family carries does effect individuals at a lot earlier age and has a specific name, but it doesn't mean I feel like ours is any worse than those that are diagnosed at a later age.  I sometimes think people think that the elderly just don't matter anymore.  "They are old, they have lived their lives, why try and find a cure for whatever they have, they can't benefit the world anymore."   If everyone felt this way, then why try to fight for anything.  These "Elderly" are part of our heritage, our family tree, our whole being of existence.     ( God is first, but you get what I'm saying)  So, if you give up on them, are you saying you give up on yourself as well?
My type of Alzheimer's ( I still do not know if I carry the gene, but family members of mine do)  was given to me while I was growing in my mother's womb.  I will carry this gene, part of my DNA, all throughout my life.  My dad was one of the first to be tested within this type of research for Early On-Set Alzheimer's, and since the 1990's scientist have progressed so much with the facts and diagnosis for people with Early and Late on-set Alzheimer's.  This type doesn't sneak up on you gradually when you are 65 or older.  This type hits you unexpectedly in your 30's to 40's. Yes, I'm sure there are signs something may be wrong before, but the whole horrible disease hits you as a young adult.  (Most people I know still have young children living at home at this age. I have four, ages 9-3 and I'm 29.) That is just four more reasons I want a cure.  If I do have the gene each one of children have a 50/50 chance of having it as well.  If researchers, scientists, and doctors know so much more then they did ten years ago, I'm certain within the next ten there will be something to stop the disease.  I pray sooner, but this is where we step in as being advocates, caregivers, volunteers, donators, victims, ANYTHING to find a cure.
I may have this disease, I may not.  If I don't, THANK THE LORD.  I am NOT going to stop fighting though.  I have decided to dedicated my life to this disease. (to find a cure)  
If I do have it, and I am going to find out when I do go do the testing. (Still details to be prepared)
You better get ready.  I'm not going to wither away, feel sorry for myself, or hide.  I've been given this life, and I intend on living it to the fullest. I went through this horrid disease with my father, and so many of my family members are going through it as we speak.  Why wouldn't I do this?  I want to help anyone and everyone.  I certainly don't want to just find a cure for AD.  I would love to help with every disease and illness that doesn't have a cure.  This one is just very personal to me.
I've been at a stand still lately on what to write, and what I can do next.  I've been very busy lately with my kids, so time on here is pretty limited.  I can't stop thinking about it, and it consumes my every thought.  I just don't know what my next step needs to be.  For anyone reading please give me ideas if you have any.  I would greatly appreciate any. 

1 comment:

  1. Very well said and I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete