Sunday, September 25, 2011

A forgotten thought

I wanted to share this.
Today I was outside, enjoying the cool breeze that Oklahoma seldom has.  I love this time of year so much.  I thought of something, and came in to do it, but I was approach by one of my daughter's telling me something that she was doing with her friends outside as our dog is having some kind of anxiety attack, I call it,  because she wants to be outside with the kids and she can only stay in her fence. (very protective, and Playful Mastiff)  Then I noticed the dryer had stopped so it was time to rotate the laundry.  As I was folding clothes I realized I had no idea what I had came in to do.  This was certainly not it, and my thoughts began to spiral as I tried to remember what it was.  What was I thinking about, what made me think of this "something"?  I couldn't think of it and it was driving me crazy trying to remember what it was.    
If I had no idea I had an Alzheimer's gene in my family I wouldn't think twice of me forgetting this thought being anything other than having a lot going on all at once.  Which is very normal for me.  But because I do and I'm not 100% sure I don't have the disease, I automatically think I am starting to show signs.    
Then, I made myself stop.  I thought,  "You can not start this because if you start thinking every time you forget the littlest thing means you have Alzheimer's, then it will ruin your life."   Every one forgets things here and there, and I'm not going to give in even if I find out I do have it.  I'm not going to let "maybe" or "definitely" ruin my life.  I'm not going to stop fighting until I'm completely unconscious of everything around me.  Even then I hope I still have it in me to keep fighting. 

Just something I wanted to share for those of us with the demon gene in our DNA.  Don't give up while you still are able to make a difference.  Don't give up when there still isn't a cure.  We gotta keep on fighting!

2 comments:

  1. Alzheimer's is horrible enough when it happens to elderly folks, but it is tragic to have a gene that guarantees you'll get the disease earlier in life. My husband's family carries one of the early-onset genes. His grandfather's generation lost 12 of 14 siblings to the disease. His uncle passed away a couple years ago from it, and his father has been symptomatic for several years. You're right: we've got to keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have THE ATTITUDE you should have. You keep fighting, Sheryl, for you, your children, and everyone who may be affected by the very appropriate term you've given it --- demon gene!
    Love and hugs to you!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete